Suitable Accommodation for Your Helper

Posted: 08/03/2018 / By: MamaHelpers / In: Articles

There are things that you need to remember when getting a helper, and one of those things is providing them a suitable accommodation. Is suitable accommodation necessarily mean a private room for your helper? The answer is no. Giving private rooms for helpers is not mandatory for every employer. You don’t need to be that astounding in the eye of your helper. It is understandable that every employer is different from each other. Some employers are opulent and some are not. And if you’re not, this is certainly inevitable and also understandable even in the eyes of the law.


Providing a suitable accommodation means providing your helper a reasonable privacy, which allows them to sleep with a child or solutions such as division of living space. It must also include bed, pillows, quilt, wardrobe, light, water, access to kitchen, toilet and bath facilities.


If you cannot provide any of these for your helper, or if you think that your house is limited with all of the amenities, do remember that it is illegal for a domestic helper to live out. You do need to provide your helper an accommodation within your home. You may also have serious consequences that include the repudiate of your helper’s visa. And if the domestic helper is caught living out, you could be fined up to 150,000 HKD, imprisoned or worst is you cannot have the right to hire a helper in the future.


One of the best thing in providing a finer accommodation is that you are more likely to enchant more skilled and experienced helper. For more information about the conditions of the suitable accommodation for your helper, you may contact the Labour Department.

< Back
MamaHelpers is the largest and fastest-growing global network gathering foreign domestic helpers, employers and employment agencies.
Customer Service:
+852 6891 3735
Business Enquiry:
+852 6975 6761
Room 1605,16/F, Bonham Commercial Centre, 42A-46 Bonham Strand West, Sheung Wan